Do I know You?

Janelle - Lincoln, Nebraska
Themes: community

Walking around campus and through the hall of the ad building someone smiles at me, I reply with a like response. When someone greets you by asking how you’re doing, do you feel like they really care or is this the cliché greeting? You might respond with “Fine thanks” or “Good” when really you feel like saying “Well actually today has been a really crappy day.” Why would you say that when anyone who passes by isn’t going to listen.

I sometimes observe the many individuals and wonder how much do people really know each other, or do they even care? It almost hurts more when someone smiles at me but refuses to look beyond my smile and into my soul. I believe in the power of genuine connections.

Everyone needs to feel understood, everyone needs to feel heard, everyone needs to feel needed. It’s a natural inborn quality that God gave each one of us. It seems as though our daily routines and technology get in the way of making genuine connection with one another. Before the technological age people had to make an effort to get to know each other, but know it seems no one makes time or the computer does all the talking. How can one really hold a conversation and feel genuine interest in what another is saying or who they are when one’s eyes constantly dart around the room distractedly and their ear is forever attached to a cell phone.

This summer I finally got a myspace, I wanted to see what all the buzz was about. To be honest it shocked me, it was as though a whole new world, that I was unaware of, had been taking place right under my nose. I could become a whole new person if I wanted to, who would know the difference, especially if people only looked at my page and never took the time to get to know me or anyone else they might have befriended on myspace. It really bothered me to view some of my friends myspace pages, because the person I knew wasn’t on that page.

Maybe we’re afraid to reveal our true identity because we don’t feel like who we are is good enough. How many hours do people spend creating a virtual personality, whether it’s on myspace, facebook or when playing video games and texting, when instead they could be making connections with friends and family. Maybe if we look up from our text messages, turn away from the computer screen and stop to listen to others a new light will be shed on our world.