Lessons

Minhchau - Wichita, Kansas

I used to think I knew it all, I used to think I was impressively smart for my age- it was

in that arrogance that I became limited and narrow minded in my view of life. I settled on immaturity and false wisdom, unaware of myself. When my father died, everything was flipped upside down, inside out. Time that once sped so fast without a heart’s sympathy, now stood still. Objects, things, that I would’ve never noticed now came attached with memories and meaning. I mourned the loss of him, of a normal family life that could’ve been. What most tore me apart was the time robbed between me and my father, and the love that would never be expressed between us. The thought of it physically hurts me. In the time that he was living, we grew distant. And that is what I most regret.

I don’t let that happen anymore. Whenever my mother begins to talk about her childhood, her life in Vietnam, the chaos of war, or the mischief of her little brothers, I join in. Whenever a friend is having an unbelievable bad day concerning grades, boys, whatever, I help out. Whenever I’m invited to an event that I have absolutely no clue about, I’ll come. Whenever something is asked, but I’m not required to give, I’ll do it anyway. And the reason for it is I care. I care for those I love, and for what I believe is right. In this transient life, I believe in not wasting your time, in doing what you think matters, in taking chances. I set my own limits, and expect myself to reach it to the fullest extent. I don’t believe in setting limits on people, I believe there is a way to be good, to be human. Bitter thoughts interrupt my bright optimism, but these thoughts are overpowered by my love for life, and everything it has to offer. Sometimes I’m alone in my endeavors, sometimes I do walk alone. But I smile to myself, and keep my chin up, because I’m being the change I want to see, and that’s what matters. I hope that maybe others we’ll look past trivial problems, or put aside differing views, and walk with me. But paths are parallel, they do cross, they do merge. And I always find others with me, because we are all walking the same journey. It is in that fact that I find beauty in life, the unification of humanity.

And the first step to this connection is the nearest person to you, for me, it began with my family, my mother and father.