The Belief of Something

Evan - Lincoln, Nebraska

I believe in something. Now that is a vague statement so I will elaborate. There are so many things that we are exposed to as beliefs. In religion alone there are so many religions that most people just stay with the religion they were raised into rather than searching out one that they believe in. religion in its self is a belief that is hard to wrap your mind around so there is even the belief in no god what so ever. Religion is a controversial belief that not only can alienate people but it can tear families apart. This applies personally to me because I am a different religion than the rest of my extended family. At holidays when I choose not to eat certain foods based on my religious beliefs I am ridiculed and my family pokes fun at me. This is a poor attempt to make me see things their way but we do not believe in the same things.

There is then the belief that certain governments are better than others. There are men and women who believe that communism is the right government instead of democracy and vise a versa. But where does the belief stem from? Again it typically comes from the society that one was raised in.

Other beliefs include basic life style choices on food and clothing. There are many cultures that believe that women should wear floor length dresses and men should always wear dress pants with a button down shirt. This would be the Amish culture that has decided to stay in the culture of the past. This culture is very strict and believes that what they are doing is the right thing, but is it?

There are so many beliefs that people are exposed to over the course of their lives it is an overwhelming process of choosing which ones they believe in. But it is an important process that ultimately defines who become. But because of the overwhelming number of belief possibilities people choose to just remain stagnant and stay with the beliefs of their society and family. But is this the right thing to do?

So ultimately I believe that all people need to find what they believe in. It needs to be a life goal to find what you believe in all areas of your life. Do not just remain believing in something simply because it is the way you have been raised. Find what you believe in.