Not Just A Game

Kyle - Richmond, Kentucky
Themes: sports

I believe that basketball is so much more than a sport. Basketball is something that builds character. I am sure that almost every guy in the world has played some basketball when he was a kid in some organized league whether it was because his parents forced him to get some exercise so he wasn’t sitting around all day, or if it was because he actually enjoyed it. In these organized leagues the coaches or supervisors not only want to teach the game of basketball, but they also want to make sure that good character is built in the process. These coaches want to make sure that everybody develops to be a good person and eventually learn how to interact with others, and how to make friends. They teach how to follow rules, have fun, make smart choices, and one of the most important ones, to not give up. In my childhood basketball experience I can say that this is how I have built a lot of my character.

Basketball is a passion. It has fans and players, both passionately care about what happens to the team they either perform or root for. Here in the Bluegrass you can say that we are very passionate when it comes to Kentucky Wildcat basketball. So passionate that in 2007 Kentucky had the largest average attendance in the NCAA at their games (Johnson). There are not many other places that 24,000 of your greatest friends can come together to watch a basketball game. Kentucky fans love their team, know their history, revere their former players and coaches, and show up wherever the wildcats play, in force (Inside Carolina Magazine). The fans here have passion.” That is why I believe that Kentucky basketball is the life of many people, including me. As fans, we are the heart and soul of the program. If no one came to watch the games the players might as well play on the playground (Johnson). As players it affects the way that they play; if they have a lot of passion they are going to play as hard as they can to get the win. Sometimes the passion of the fans can even inspire the players. Most of the sports announcers refer to this as “feeding off of the crowd.”

When I was growing up I was born into this kind of passion. As far as I can look back I realize that my whole family are a bunch of very passionate Kentucky basketball fans. Being such a passionate fan, I believe that sometimes I do get a little bit over zealous, which is just the nature of me trying to defend “my team.” I try to defend them when they do badly, like when they aren’t having their best season. Sometimes when they are having a good season I am sorry to say that I might be a little cocky and boast about how good they are. That is just what I believe passionate fans are like.

I believe that basketball can be a relationship builder. It can build relationships between friends and even family. It can create good relationships between friends because playing can create a bond between people because they have something in common. This can also be good for family because something just as simple as watching your favorite team playing together with your dad can make you so much closer with him than you ever thought that you would be. I once heard this line from a Nike basketball commercial that was sung by Juelz Santana that says family that plays together, stays together, and ones that walk apart just fall apart (The Second Coming). Even though Santana is not literally talking about an actual family, but a team I believe that this can be interpreted in the literal sense because if a family does have something like basketball in common they do stay together. I am really close with my dad, and I think that the reason that this is, is because we do have sports in common. Most importantly, we both love basketball and UK basketball. So that is something that we just love to talk about with each other. It is something that makes my dad and me not only as father and son, but good friends also.