I Believe in Music

Mike - Fairfax, Virginia

I believe in music. Music can have a very big impact in life, like it did in mine. Sure, music is something that you dance to, sing along with, rock to, or whatever you do with it, but it could also be a big influence on your way of life. There wasn’t any one instance where it suddenly hit me that music was such a big part of my life; it sort of happened without me noticing it.

It started around the beginning of eighth grade. Around Nov of eighth grade, I joined the Praise Team at my church to learn how to play guitar. Before then, I wasn’t really into music; I didn’t listen to it and I just wasn’t interested in it. One day, one of my friends asked me to join Praise Team because he was joining. I said no because I didn’t really want to join, but my friend kept on nagging me. Eventually, I broke down and joined. Boy am I glad that he kept on nagging me.

After I joined, I started to listen to music more and more. Before I knew it, I couldn’t stop listening. I realized that music helped me focus and lose stress. So, I listened to the radio when I was doing my homework. I had a folder of music in my computer. I started to play guitar more and more. I started listening even more after I got my MP3 player this summer.

In response to all this music, I became happier, I started doing better on my homework, I started focusing in class and I started to get better grades. Music also gave me a way to connect to more people and I made even more friends. Music had a great impact in my life, and it continues to have one to this very day.