Making the Difference

Kelsey - Meridian, Idaho

Kelsey LaMont

Word count: 483

Making the Difference

I believe in having a good attitude. Every day through my high school career my mom would say to me “have a good attitude, Kelsey” as I walked out the door. I would roll my eyes and keep walking, most of the time saying back, “I know” or “I will.” It always bothered me because I thought that I already knew this. I knew that I should have a good attitude about things, even if it was something I really didn’t want to do. But now I look back and wonder, did I really know it, or did what my mother say to me really make the difference?

In my freshman year of high school, my friends, Danielle and Elizabeth and I, decided to try out for the basketball team. There were actually two teams; a freshman A team and a freshman B team. In middle school and even before then I had always considered myself a good player, worthy of the best teams. That was until I got to high school and found that, to my dismay, I was one of the worst players trying out for the team. I tried my hardest, no doubt, pushing myself to prove that I could make it to the A team.

After three days of tryouts, we finally got the list of who would be on the top team. Kendra Faunestalk, Brittany Murphy, Elizabeth Phillips…..the list went on with no Kelsey LaMont in it. The coaches admired their new team and then turned back to the rest of the girls I was sitting with. Danielle had a large grin on her face, thankful to not make it to the other team knowing that they would get the worst half of practices and coaches. I on the other hand was slightly flustered. I’m sure I was scowling and I could feel my head getting hot with the rage of not being picked for the first team, all the while hearing my mom’s voice in my head, “have a good attitude, Kelsey.” Grudgingly, I joined my new team of rejects and went to work.

Accepting the fact and putting the wonderful words of advice to use, I put all I had into the B team I was now a part of. We grew very close very quickly, most of us could relate to each other from disappointment, but as a team we decided to “have a good attitude” and push our way through the season the best we could. By December, we claimed being an undefeated team, and we even slightly considered ourselves better than the A team.

I don’t think I ever thanked my mom for telling me every day of my hormonal life to have a good attitude, but I really am grateful for the lesson she taught me. Looking for the bright sides in life make all the difference.