Love Bubble

Emma - Vienna, Virginia

I look down the long table, laid with turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and all the other Thanksgiving food, and see all the faces of the people dear to me. I see my 20-year-old brother, passive and thoughtful. Next to him sits my oldest sister, determined and compassionate. My other 18-year-old sister sits across from me, bubbly and yet astute at the same time. Then at the head of the table are my parents, both of them hard-working and caring.

Within each one I recognize a portion of myself expressed in their attitudes and natures. They are where I come from, they are what help to shape me into who I am and who I will become through their love and assistance. I believe this is how a family should be.

The love that binds my family is something intangible and yet as strong if not stronger than any physical object. It’s like what the Bible says in Second Corinthians 4:18 “We do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal.” The love we have for one another is something inexplicable except that through the love of Christ in us we are able to exhibit that same love towards each other. Although none of us are perfect.

Yeah, we have our fights, but so does every family. But nothing could ever break the deep affection each one of us has for each other. Even if we don’t agree or understand the other’s point of view, it’s alright because we don’t have to; all we have to do is love one another.

I know that if I didn’t have this family with me to guide, comfort, discipline and assist me, I wouldn’t be the person I am today. They are the people who help me to see when I’m wrong and how to fix what I’ve done. They comfort me through the hard times, and even when I do something stupid they’re there for me, like a family should be.

I believe that this is what family was intended to be, like a little love bubble to be a part of. I look around at the world we now find ourselves in and see that this is no longer the norm. A family where you actually get along with your siblings and you love your parents? That’s just unheard of, and it pains me to see kids growing up in broken families and I know that that is not what God wants for them, that He has a work He wants to do in their lives and families, if they will only come to Him.

I am thankful for what God has done to bring my family together and I hope that one day other families will also be able to have this same relationship because this is how a family should be.