The Perfect Match

Kristen - Crestwood, Kentucky
Themes: love

Every year thousands of couples stand before each other stating vows of promise and love that they will forever be joined as one. These couples enthralled with the feeling of finding that one person that they were meant for, their match in the world, or as some people like to refer to as their soul mate. Unfortunately, for some who spend the first half of their lifetime searching and searching for that one person never find that happy-ever-after ending. The percentage of American adults who remain unmarried has been steadily increasing over the past few decades, and not to mention half of those, what appear to be, perfect marriages are ending in heartbreak and divorce. In fact, “The latest statistics claim roughly 60% of marriages end in divorce. Second or third marriages have only about 20% of couples remaining happily married.” (Robbins) So, what are these statistics implying? If it is true that everyone has that one perfect match for them, why do so many people go through life without finding them? Or more simply, is there even such a thing as soul mates?

This question is a tough one to answer. It’s not like you can put the issue into a math equation, or scientifically test to prove or disprove, and there’s no doubt that the answer will vary between people depending on their experiences and personal opinions. As for my own individual reply to this open-ended and controversial topic, I firmly believe in the existence of soul mates, and have complete faith that there is that one person in complete sync and with perfect chemistry for everyone willing to look for it. My opinion is hard to argue, but when I think about it, from the complexity of religion and politics to simpler matters, what is not hard to argue? In the end, every belief takes faith – an act of believing without proof.

Perhaps, I owe it to growing up with parents so in love it is sometimes unbelievable that an emotion could be so strong and true. The majority of my friends have divorced parents – living lifestyles where they get monthly child support checks, and have to switch houses every other weekend. Hearing their horror stories of how their parent’s marriages heart wrenchingly failed, I begin to have my doubts about the real success of true love. However, at the end of the day as I come home to two people whose love has done nothing but grow stronger for the past twenty-five years, it’s hard to deny the possibility of finding that one true love. It’s hard to imagine being with the same person for so many years, and still maintain that constant desire to be with them, but this is the power of soul mates, and it is this feeling I believe exists between two people who are really meant for each other.

As a young dater I feel inferior, with no authority to be debating a topic that requires such an immense amount of experience and wisdom. I have had my fair share of relationships, most in which I think within the first three months I have found my match. Some people believe in love at first sight. In some aspect I believe such chemistry can be shared between two people that you know right off the bat that you’ve finished your search. My parents are a great example of this. My mom always told me how she had three serious relationships before finding my dad. With each one she thought she had found the one. But the day she met my dad at a car dealership and saw his nerdy green sneakers, she became captivated in his innocence, unique sense of humor and affectionate personality, and knew every previous failed relationship was leading up to meeting this man of her dreams. This is an astonishing gift that few have the opportunity to experience, and for them I envy, but if you don’t get the chance to know at first sight doesn’t mean it wasn’t meant to be with the person you find and a successful relationship cannot be obtained. I’ve always been a strong believer in fate, always having the mindset that what is meant to happen will. A soul mate is something everyone sets out on a journey to find, however I believe the extraordinary part of finding the one meant for you is having them come to you.