Leigh - Cincinnati, Ohio
Themes: carpe diem

I believe the key to “living” life is taking chances. In life we tend to limit ourselves and hide behind our fears instead of experiencing and taking advantage of every opportunity life has to offer. Though we may be alive, we are not truly living life when we don’t take chances. My fear, in this case, was independence. However, I decided to overcome this fear in my pursuit of finding a college to attend by opting for the one where I knew no one. There were many criteria that influenced this decision, but creating my own path was definitely one of my top reasons for choosing Bowling Green State University. Of the many schools I was accepted into, bowling green was the only one I truly felt was for me. None of my friends were going here and they were scattered at all of the other schools I was choosing from. From elementary school, to junior high and onto high school, I always had either my older brother or a friend accompanying me to the next phase in my life. Upon entering Bowling Green, this was the first time in my life I’ve ever taken the chance of venturing out on my own. I must also include that I feel that this is the first time in my life I’ve ever had the chance to really “live” and enjoy my independence as an adult in this world. I’ve made my own group of friends, experienced having a roommate who I get along with extremely well and met on my own. Though I miss being at home sometimes, I am very grateful for the fact that I took a chance at creating my own path and initiating the beginning of “living” my own life.