Returning To the Best Time

Claire - Pittsfield, Massachusetts

I believe in going back to my past for visits. Those are the places that, to me, feel most like home.

In middle school I was greatly involved in theatre. I was the stage manager for two out of three plays that I was a part of. I loved everything about it, from the smell of painting sets to those last few hold-your-breath moments of the show. These were my times and I was in my element. However, graduation came and I moved on to high school. I immediately got involved in the drama club but it wasn’t the same at all. It was nerve fraying and hard instead of fun like it used to be. I ended up switching to chorus, which turned out of be a really good decision.

As much as I wanted to, I was worried about going back to my middle school to visit my theatre friends. I was slightly ashamed that I didn’t have what it took to stick out high school theatre. I still found out all the information about the plays through my chorus teacher and went to almost every play. By junior year, I realized that it wasn’t me, it was just that high school theatre wasn’t my thing. Still I wasn’t sure about going back. In May of my senior year my chorus teacher, who also helped with the music for the middle school shows, gave me a reason to go back.

“Claire, they are having some trouble over at the middle school with the show. It is just that everything hasn’t quite come together yet. Do you think you could come over and help out?” Here was my opportunity to finally come back and re-live a little of my glory days. Needless to say I have the sound system up and running in a jiff, the mikes all labeled by actor, and I finally got the back stage crew to shut up. While I was doing a few final touches my chorus teacher looked up from the piano and asked me a simple question.

“Is it good to be home?”

“Yes.”

Ask anyone and they’ll tell you that we can’t live in the past, that we must move forward and progress. However I think a trip back is healthy and it helps me keep in mind the direction I want to go. I have learned so much from visits to places where I used to be all the time helps me think and gain some perspective. Sometimes I think that’s all we need, just a little perspective.