Military Life

Abram - Yorktown, Virginia
Themes: change

Military Life

It all started when I made my first move with my family. I was two years old, born in Nebraska and now moving overseas to England. I do not recall how I felt about the move because I do not remember much about Nebraska. At first thought, being part of a military family may seem like a horrible thing. All the moving around, changing schools every three or four years, having to make new friends, trying to fit it over and over again. All of these are what makes it one of the best experiences that a child can have. It has helped shape me into the person I am today.

Being military and living overseas, I got to see so many neat things that I took for granted then, but am now happy that my parents took my siblings and me to all of these places. Once seeing the Queen several times got old, it was time to make another move. This time it was back across the pond to the states.

We moved to Yorktown, VA, one of the most historic places in the United States. Virginia is where I really got involved in Little League and I made so many close friends while living in VA.

Warner Robins, GA was next on my list of places to live, the middle of nowhere. It was 3 miles to the nearest gas station and grocery store. This was the toughest transition that I had to make. I did not talk to anyone at all. I found out a few weeks later that this kid Tyler lived in the same neighborhood as me. We hung out almost every day, played baseball with, and against each other. Tyler and I still remain in contact to this day.

After 7th grade we moved back to Hampton Roads. This was the easiest transition to make because we moved back into the same house and my old friends from elementary school still lived there. We picked up right where we left off. I have had so many experiences while living in Virginia, but my most memorable was my first year of playing lacrosse. I have been on so many different teams with different people but I have never had as much fun or felt the camaraderie like I did in my first year of lacrosse.

Being part of a military family has its advantages. I have been to four different countries, and lived in two. I have been to Euro Disney in Paris, France, gone on gondola rides in Venice, Italy and the Alps in Germany. I have seen medieval castles in England, oil derricks in Texas, the Crown Jewels in London, and the Eifel Tower in Paris. Being part of a military family has given me the greatest memories of my life. I hope to follow in my father’s footsteps and be a pilot in the Air Force and give my children the same experiences that my parents gave me.