In Tmes of Trouble

Joshua - Lincoln, Nebraska

It was an early foggy morning; a slight chill ran through my spine as I stepped out of the door. Many times my family had gone to Texas, but this was a very special trip because we were going to pick my dad up from the airport, little did I know that this trip would be a life changing trip. After waiting what seemed an eternity, my mother and my two sisters finally came out of the house. We mounted the 4Runner and headed for Texas. We were about 45 minutes into the trip, my sisters and I were eating breakfast. When I was done with mine I carelessly dropped the bread wrapper to the floor As soon as my mom say this, she bent down to grab the piece of wrapper and put it inside the trash bag we had inside the vehicle. “Mom!” my older sister Becky shrieked. As soon as my mom heard the horrified voice of my sister she looked up and saw that the vehicle was straying towards the right side of the road. Not knowing what to do, my mom took the first reaction that her muscle would allow her to do, as fast as she could she turned the wheel towards the left side of the road. It all felt in slow motion after she did that, the 4Runner, as it was turning a really sharp left, slowly started running on its two front and back right tires; then as if the wind had swooped it from the bottom and then blew it with great force, the truck began to roll uncontrollably without any sign of stopping. Before the vehicle started rolling I ducked under the panel and hid from any possible flying objects, or crushing of the roof. I could never forget the sight when, still rolling, I looked back at my sisters; their surprised and confused faces, as if still trying to figure out what was going on. Yogurt, pieces of bread, juice, and items we had brought for the trip where all flying and floating inside of the car. Finally the car stopped rolling, a looked up and all I could see was destruction inside the car. My sisters were ok, one of them was complaining about a thumb hurting but for the most part we were fine. I then looked for my mom, but she was nowhere to be found in the car. I ran out in desperation screaming the only words that came to my mind, “No, no, no.” My mom’s motionless body laid about 40 feet away from the vehicle. It took the ambulance about 30 minutes to get there. They took her to a hospital and there she got a surgery done on her back. When everything had finished my mom came out paraplegic. Even though my family went through all of this I still felt the presence of God all through the way..

I believe that for every good or bad thing that happens in your life, God always has something better in store for you. Sure, this accident affected my family and I but thru this, God opened bigger doors and more opportunities. Jesus tells us “For I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future” (Jeremiah 29:11).

I believe, in God.