I believe that being a mom would be the ultimate job

Courtney - Loveland, Colorado
Themes: parenthood

When I was a kid I would get distracted by shiny objects. Anything that was new to me would immediately grab my attention. When I saw something that was unusual, I would ask questions. The questions and comments ranged from why elderly women wore pink polka-dotted high heels, to why men never sat down on the toilet to used “number one.” My mom would sit down with me and always explain the things that didn’t make the most sense. I never thought much about the silly phrases that would explode out of my mouth, but I’m sure my mom got a hoot out it.

I was flabbergasted when I discovered that my mother’s butt fit over the entire toilet seat. I wondered how could this be?! My bottom didn’t cover even half of the round circular throne. This was surprisingly overwhelming to a four year old, but it had never occurred to me that someone could exceed such accomplishments.

In public, I would shout and scream the most intimate phrases relating to the surrounding customers. I pointed out their flaws and obnoxiously would announce them to the rest of the world. I squawked, yelled, even screeched, just for the sake of making noise.

Throughout all of my bizarre and embarrassing episodes, I know my mom wouldn’t trade any one of those moments. I know she wouldn’t trade me for a calmer, much quieter child either. She gained wisdom and learned how to discipline me even throughout my outrageous actions.

I believe that being a mom can be an incredible experience because my mom showed me how it can be the ultimate job. Her outlook on life and character has made her into an incredible woman. She believed in teaching us what was right and giving up her time and energy for the sake of her children’s upbringing. My mom has the patience of someone I’ve never known. She listens and is a very understanding person.

I want to be that mom. I believe I can be a mom like that. I want to have all the experiences including the embarrassing stories. I want to become more patient even when there is nothing to stop the screaming kids, or the poop that gets all over my white t-shirt. I want to be at every soccer game, piano recital, injury, and happy moment, so that I can help them through the lessons that life brings them. Moms are the foundation of the family and have the biggest responsibility of all: Educating their children. This job is satisfying, exciting, frustrating, and even embarrassing at times, but it can be the ultimate gift that anyone receives. This twenty-four seven, no holiday, vacation, full time job, can be the most rewarding jobs of all. That is why I believe that being a mom would be the ultimate job.