A Child Gets a Second Chance

Brittany - Salem, Oregon

I work at a place where parents ask daily how to deal with certain problems their kids are having. I work at a place where parents are ready to give up. I work at this place for a reason, to make sure they don’t give up.

My attitude began long before I can remember, but it blossomed more my eighth grade year. From there it became a never ending fullness; I never got tired of saying what I wanted and how I wanted it. Problem number one was the word “I”. I only cared about myself and didn’t know why people were so concerned about that.

It came to its peak my freshman year of high school. I thought of myself as wise beyond my years. I participated on the cheerleading squad, had an abundance of friends, and had succeeded in just getting my drivers permit! I thought I had it all. I started associating with people you wouldn’t want your fifteen year old daughter to even know. As soon as I got around them, I started acting like them. I became a mirror image of a mouthy rebellious teenager. I wouldn’t listen to my parents, I’d skip class to go to my friends house, I’d involve myself with people five years older then me and tried to live how they did. And Boys, well I experienced my fair share of dating that year.

No one knew what to do with me or where this was even coming from. My true personality used to be far different then how I was acting. My mom and dad put everything they had into me, and I threw it back at them. I can honestly say I became a horrible person. I carried on this way of living until the beginning of that summer.

That’s when I thought my world came crashing down. I wasn’t aloud to talk to anyone I used to. I wasn’t aloud to leave the house or get on the computer with out my dad putting in a password. All because my parents decided it was time for me to go to a new school, and leave my old world behind.

I went through the first month of summer moping around pretending all life was sucked out of me. Eventually I gave in, my hill slowly started to redirect itself upward. As September came around I knew school was about to start. My first week I became shy and frankly shocked by what I saw, kindness, love, and no students cursing or yelling at each other. This shaped me for who I am today. Not to say I am perfect by any means, but from this series of events my attitude was turned around from what I thought I should be.

That has led me to my passion for kids. I want to start at the root and help those that were stuck where I was. I want to be the one to impact their lives. I want to be that one person they can look up to and relate with. I want to devote my life to the kids whose parents are so close to giving up, and let them know every child should get a second chance.