Highschool Memories

Brett - Kent, Ohio

I believe that experiences in high school teach you valuable life lessons that will help you be a better person later in life. For me my most valuable high school experience was the varsity basketball team senior year. This year was the year that I remember most, not because it was my senior year or because I played more than my previous two years on the team, but because I had the most fun and learned some very tough life lessons.

Throughout the season I went from starting, to barely playing, then to starting again and I had no idea why. At first it was very frustrating; I always wanted to play no matter the circumstance. I always thought that no I could do better than the people that were out there actually playing. We had the best school record in over 18 years and all I was worried about was how much I played. I eventually began to see how much fun I was having that season with all my teammates, and the overall joy of winning. It taught me that it’s not always about me but it is sometimes about things that are more important.

Another lesson the basketball team taught me was dealing with all kinds of different people. We had players on our team that played very well and some that didn’t, the superstar no one liked, loud, quiet, white, and black. There were many people on the team I didn’t like and couldn’t stand being on the same team as me but once we were on the basketball court none of that matter. I never realized it until recently but when we all were on that basketball court the reasons why we didn’t like each other went out the window and we focused on one thing: winning the basketball game. It taught me that no matter what differences I have with people I should focus on what we have in common.

The basketball team also taught me how to be responsible and be more independent. During my senior year I not only had to worry about school and basketball but I also worked 20 hours a week. I had early release from school to work so on a daily basis I went from school, to work, then back to the school for practices or games. It would have been easy to not do homework or work as hard at work and blame it on how busy I was but I was always taught that commitments were never an excuse for laziness. It showed me that as long as I stayed focused and was determined to be successful in all three of my commitments that I would succeed. That year I got the highest grade point average of my four year high school career.

High school gave me many memories, some sad and some fun. I will never forget that experiences in high school have helped me become a better person, this I believe.