Christopher - Westlake, Ohio
Themes: family, setbacks

Sitting on the couch in my family room the day after Christmas 2003 was the most horrific experience of my life. All my morals, all my values were crushed before my very eyes. My confidence in honesty with those I loved, my obedience to my faith, my belief that the closest thing to the heart was your family was in shambles; gently covered by a flowing river of tears created by my sister and I.

Three days before that Christmas, my Father and I were driving back from watching a movie and he was very distraught. He looked over at me and I could see a tear rolling down his face, something I had never seen before. As he looked at me, he told me how much he values the relationships in our family. Also, he mentioned how no matter what is said in the next 10 minutes none of it is my, neither my brother’s, nor my sister’s fault. On those words he continued to say how my Mother and Father had decided to get divorced. He choose to tell me before my brother and sister for one simple reason, I am the oldest. My brother, only 6 at the time, didn’t understand what had happened when we were sat down in the family room and told the news. My sister, my dear sister was 11 on that 26th, and understood what this event meant.

My family was ripped apart by the event. The holes in the walls were starting to weaken the house and we were running out of paintings to cover them with. The yelling was like clockwork, at 5:15 it was about the chores, 5:30 the kid’s school work, 6:00 about each other. The crying and cursing were how my parents, my guiding light through life, that was how they communicated. Through these the darkest times of my life I learned the most.

I believe a strong family will never crumble completely. I’m currently in college, involved in the Undergraduate Student Government at Bowling Green State University and, I am active member of The Bowling Green Men’s Chorus. Also, I’m already the Vice President of my fraternity. All because I still see both my parents equally and they both love and support me. My sister is in the top 5% of her class in high school. My brother is my personal inspiration to lead a good life, and so far apparently I’ve done a good job looking at him. I believe sadness reminds us we are alive, happiness reminds us why we want to be.