Soccer

Chris - Lexingont, Kentucky
Themes: sports

I believe in taking the time to experience all that life has to offer. For me, the most important thing I have come to experience so far is soccer. When I was in kindergarten, my parents enrolled me in soccer, hoping that it would take all of the energy out of me so I wouldn’t be such a handful for them. What they didn’t know was that soccer would later become a part of my life that I couldn’t imagine living without. With this essay, I want to show how participating in soccer has really opened my eyes and made me realize how important it is to me to make sure that I experience absolutely all that I can in my lifetime.

Soccer has showed me what it is like to feel passionate about something. I don’t think there is any other part of my life that makes me feel as complete and as whole as soccer does. I didn’t entirely realize this until this year. This year I came to Kentucky and I didn’t join the intramural soccer team by the deadline. At first, I was a little bummed realizing that I wouldn’t be playing the sport that I loved so much. Once I got further into the semester, I realized how much it really affected my life. Besides the fact that I wasn’t getting the amount of exercise I was used to getting, I didn’t really have anything that was taking up my time that I loved as much as soccer. One of the things that I love about soccer is how rewarding it is to see your sweat and tears turned into something successful. I began to feel like I was wasting my time and was not being productive or doing anything that I was passionate about. I tried filling this void with basketball but it wasn’t the same.

I am not the type of person that wakes up every morning thinking about how I should be searching for something new to love and cherish and appreciate. I also can be rather lazy. However, sometimes I think I should be waking up in the morning and realizing that I really need to be searching for something instead of being satisfied with what I have. I, luckily, live in an extremely privileged world in which I have many opportunities thrown at me and available for me every single day. I never want to reach a point in my life when I don’t have something to be passionate about or something to appreciate. I know a lot of adults who do not have any happiness in their lives and have never experienced anything truly life-changing—I would hate to live with that regret. Because of soccer and everything that soccer has given me, I have realized that one of my strongest beliefs is to experience everything that life has to offer, and have no regrets while doing it.