A Second Chance

Josh - Evansville, Indiana

I believe in second chances and sometimes a third, fourth or fifth.

When I was a child, my father was involved in my life. He usually would coach the sports teams that my brothers and I played on. Even when he wasn’t the coach, my dad was still supporting us from the stands. It was his way of bonding with us.

Sports were also a source of leisure for my dad. His other was drinking. He had gotten into some trouble with the law when he was younger. He took it easy on drinking for a while but many years later, he’d be right back in trouble. Alcohol almost tore my family apart. It led to my father moving out twice while I was in high school and almost broke up my parents’ marriage. He single handedly dismembered my family and home life.

My family was on the brink of separation when my father got another DUI. This was exactly what he needed. Now four months later, my father has moved back in and has been completely sober. Because of him, my family is closer than ever.

I believe that my father is a perfect example that everybody deserves a second chance. I am a much better person because of my father. It’s unfortunate that my dad had to struggle so much but it really was a blessing in disguise. I’ve never felt closer to my family as I do now.

If you would have asked me a year or two ago what my biggest fear was, I would of said being my father. Now, I would love to be the type of person he is now. He has not only matured as man but also as a father. He has learned how to open up and talk, something I have trouble doing sometimes. Ironically, I get it from my father. My parents have also shown me that everyone deserves to be forgiven, no matter how many times they hurt you. My family almost fell apart because of my father. Thanks to my dad, my family is closer than ever. He is the biggest reason I believe in second chances.