I Believe In Santa

Heather - Reading

Christmas time. The hustle and bustle of making sure I get all of my Christmas shopping done before the rush of the crowds or before things sell out can make me forget the true meaning of what Christmas is all about.

Sure, I could go to church every weekend before Christmas to celebrate the four weeks of Advent leading up to the holiday. But I feel myself not having time to go as often as I’d like, with schoolwork and holiday parties. Because I am so stressed during this season, I push people away and become short-tempered. However, a certain jolly man in red helps bring me back into the spirit of Christmas.

I believe in Santa. I know that he isn’t a real person. I know that he doesn’t fly around in a sleigh on Christmas Eve with eight tiny reindeer, delivering presents to the children of the world. I don’t believe in that. I believe in the spirit of Santa. Part of the Christmas spirit is giving to others. But I can forget that while I rush around, making sure I have the perfect outfit for Christmas Eve, and gifts for all of my family. Seeing children taking pictures with Santa in the mall, or Salvation Army workers ringing bells dressed as Santa collecting change outside department stores reminds me of the spirit of Santa, and that it is better to give than receive.

Seeing Santa impersonators, or pictures of him also remind me of his “naughty and nice” list that he compiles while supposedly watching every child. Although this is not a real list, it still helps keep me in the spirit. I am reminded to be kind to others; to not think, do or say “naughty” things.

This is why I am such a big Santa advocate. If Santa helps to remind me to give to the less fortunate, and to be nice to others, who’s to say that he can’t help others remember what the Christmas season is all about? I believe in Santa. I believe in the spirit that he helps bring to people like me.