The Magic of the Snowflakes

Brittany - Winchester, Kentucky

I believe in one’s expression of self. Every individual should be like a snowflake, unique in his or her own way. Growing up, as a kid, my mom used to take my sister and me on walks through the park on snowy days when the sun was just bright enough to brighten up the snowfall. My mom would express to us to stare at the snow falling and observe the uniqueness of each individual snowflake. Now, as I think back on those winter days, I think of the importance of what my mom was trying to teach us.

Now, as an 18-year-old college student, I try to live my life without the influence of others. That means making my own decisions based on my beliefs, trying things out for myself, and doing what I like despite what other people might think. Life is not trying to be like my mom or my friends. When I wake up in the morning I don’t think about pleasing others and what I have to do in order to be more accepted. It’s about being myself regardless of the norms of society. I put my hair up and get dressed with mismatched clothes everyday without the mere thought of what others will think of me. To me, these things have no meaning in life.

Rules are learned throughout everyone’s lifetime. According to the alternative artist Maria Taylor, “all these rules we’ve learned could make no difference, so much to do or say without repeating.” This signifies that all the rules and beliefs we’ve learned from our parents, as kids don’t shape us into individuals. Instead, they make us into identical replicas of our parents. Our parents influence us in so many ways such as religion, political parties, career motives, traditions, and ways of life. These are all characteristics that one should take the time to explore and figure out for his or her self. There are so many different aspects of life to embrace that one shouldn’t feel the need to act like another individual.

My mom taught me that “No two snowflakes are alike” and that is how I try to live my life every day. Now, as I walk through the same park that I once walked with my mom, ten years ago, I always stop to look at the snowfall. Reminiscing on the old times, I am proud of the person I’ve become and I am happy that my mom helped me see the importance of individualism. As I compare my life now to the winter days of the past, I understand the secret of the snowflakes.