I Believe in Grandma’s Thanksgiving Turkey Plates

Chelsea - Hoosick Falls, New York
Themes: family, legacy

I believe in family history, and making myself a part of it. To be a part of my family I make myself close to family members so that the opportunity for them to pass down memories and family history is possible. I have done this through being close to my Grandmother, listening to her stories, and cherishing her past, as she cherishes mine and my future.

Washing and putting away the dishes at Grandma’s at Thanksgiving has been a chore the cousins have always taken part in. Every year it was dreaded. We would finish our fantastic meal and then have to get up and move around right after we had eaten our body weight in Grandma’s stuffing and Aunt Kayne’s mashed potatoes. As I grew older, I realized this process of cleaning dishes, was me partaking in history, and learning about our family’s past. Every year we hear about the family’s “Thanksgiving turkey plates” from our Grandmother. They have been in the Thanksgiving dinners since my Mother was young, they can be seen in all of our Thanksgiving pictures. Now, I eat off them and clean them, making me a part of my family’s future history, and its past, by hearing about all the dinners they have been through.

I believe it is absolutely essential for me to take an active role in my family, and learn as much as possible about my family history. This is because family is a major part of who I am, and will help me discover things about myself. I recognize characteristics and traits in my family members that I also posses myself. My family gives me a place to belong. I cherish the ties I have with them and the love they will always have for me. My family is always there for me, and in my gratitude for them, I try to take part in as much as I can, and learn as much as possible from them.

Grandmother’s cupboard is a time capsule holding our family’s history. Each dish within is symbolic. Most come from other times in family’s history. Grandmother has deep green glasses that I will always associate with my Great-Grandmother’s housed, New Hampshire, and growing up. Most of her coffee mugs have places on them that were important to her life. Some were purchased at places with special meaning, or given to her by people that are important to her life.

I believe in Thanksgiving turkey dishes, Deep green glasses and coffee mugs with the town of New Hampshire on them. Washing and putting away the dishes at Grandma’s gives me an opportunity to learn of each dish’s importance. If I didn’t help do this when I visited Grandmother, I would not know as much as I do about her, or my family’s history.