Takin’ it easy

Philip - Valparaiso, Indiana

I believe in slowing down and taking life easy. Our society has become obsessed with ideas such as “fast food”, “on the go”, and “high speed.” Why are we in such a hurry? What’s the big rush? We are too caught up in the routine hustle of life that we forget how to relax and we lose sight of what’s really important. By slowing down we can shake the stress off and become more aware of our surroundings, allowing us to appreciate all that life has to offer. Life is too short to be rushed. It is not always about the destination, but how we arrive there, the journey. If we don’t relax and slow down we can miss important events in our life.

I am the type of person who enjoys the little things in life. Lazy summer days to running in the rain, it is easy for me to relax and unwind. When I was growing up, and even today, my family has always taken the time and eaten meals together. At the kitchen table, time almost stops and the stress from the day just melts away. Simple experiences such as this are where family memories are made, where everyone is relaxed and enjoying each other’s company.

Some may call me a slow poke, but personally, I do not like being rushed. I like taking my time. People are often surprised when I tell them how long I have been in the studio working on an art project. When I take my time I can relax and produce better quality artwork. I can focus more on the art rather than getting the assignment completed. I become so engrossed that I lose track of time and end up spending hours in the studio. Yet, it doesn’t bother me spending so much time there, because I am doing something I love and I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else. People often give up when things take too long. We are so used to everything being quick, but when it takes longer we lose patience and quit. If we all learned to relax and take our time, life would be more enjoyable for everyone. As the saying goes, the slow and steady win the race.