Strong Bonds

Florencia - Martinez, California

I believe in my family. My family is a huge mix of different personalities but what ties us together is the love we have for each other. I am the oldest of three boys and two girls. We have had our share of hard times but we always come out stronger and with more love and appreciation for each other than before. Like a normal family we do fight, but I know that I can always depend on them for support or even just a laugh.

My parents divorced when I was fourteen. For the past four years my mom has had to raise us on her own. Being a single-parent with five kids and four of those being teenagers is not easy! Throughout this time there have been a lot of tears and frustration. My siblings and I have had to become more independent so my mom could go back to work. The three oldest have had to look out for the two youngest and help as much as possible. We have learned to become sensitive and aware of each others needs. When my sister Natalia sees that one of us has had a bad day she will try to cheer us up and help in some way. I know I can always go to my brother Nathan for advice or help in anything I am worried about. When I need to just laugh I go to my brother Marcelo. If I need to know about the next coolest videogame or movie coming out I find my brother Sebastian. I know that I can always depend on them for anything. Even through the tough times we have had amazing and happy moments together. We have learned to make the best of anything that comes our way.

We used to have an Aerostar Ford van that was not reliable. It was made in the 1980’s and was in need of a lot of repairs. One Sunday as we were driving to church on the freeway the brakes completely gave out. My mom yelled out that the breaks weren’t working and we were stunned into silence. The seconds felt like hours as my mom tried to somehow stop the car before we hit someone. Eventually she was able to pull the emergency brake and merge safely to the side of the road. Our brakes stopped working on a few other occasions and each time this occurred we would all make sure everyone was okay. We learned to trust my mom, and although we didn’t really have a choice, put our lives in her hands. We became more unified in dealing with scary situations where the outcome could have been horrible.

I realize that I am truly blessed to have a family that truly cares for each other. We become closer with each trial we face rather than pushing each other away. I believe in the bonds and power created with family.