Karma, The Universal Justice System

Ariel - Peoria, Arizona
Themes: golden rule

Karma, in a simplified form, is the concept of cause and effect. Whatever action I do now will cause an effect on my future. In essence, the past will influence the present and the present will influence itself along with the future. The belief in karma stems from the Hindu and Buddhist cultures, rich with philosophical ideas. This belief has not just stayed with the Eastern cultures. It has found its way around the world and is now practiced by many cultures, it can be found in regions of agricultural South America to the sophisticated North American cultures. In theory, it is an effective method of crime prevention, and stops anyone who has mal intentions. I remember hearing as I grew up, “Be nice to everyone even if they are rude to you,” or when I did something bad and later stubbed my foot in the wall, they would say “See, karma took care of you!” So as I grew and matured I was nice to everyone in high school, even if they spread rumors. I never picked a fight with anyone, and I cut down on my back talk with my parents. All this in time paid off. High school was an amazing experience, I didn’t experience any violence, and my relationship with my parents is great. Needless to say, I became a follower of the way of karma. I believe that everything I do in life, I get back, be it good or bad.

One of my most memorable stories of karma in action is when I was young, around seven or eight, and was causing a ruckus in my grandmother’s house. I wasn’t a terrible child, but I had my moments. I was running around yelling nonsense, and causing mischief with my cousin. Sooner or later, we broke out into a fight, started by me, and my mom came over to settle us down and give me a smack for being bad. Well, back then I thought I was a speed demon and could outrun anyone. So I ran around the couch, where we were fighting, and did a loop into the kitchen, laughing all the way. Then I ran back towards the living room and I saw an escape; the back door was open. Mom was gaining ground on me so I decided to go for it. I dashed for the patio outside with my head leaning forward thinking I was going to get away. Then out of nowhere I was struck and dazed. I fell backwards onto the ground wondering what could have hit me. I slowly looked up. The sliding glass door to the patio was not open. In fact, it was still locked with the lock attached at the bottom. Not long after I realized what happened, I heard my mother say, “You see? I did not even have to touch you.” I never ran away from her again.

Another story of karma in action I have involves college. A quote that applies to my story is that of Helen Keller: “When we do the best we can, we never know what miracle is wrought in our life, or in the life of another.” I strived for good grades all throughout high school. I spent day and night studying for my exams and tests. I never passed up an opportunity to learn something new. Thanks to karma I was rewarded for my hard work. I graduated in the top 10% of my class and received a scholarship from Glendale Community College. Now I attend college, debt free, everything is paid for. Not only did that benefit me, to add to Helen Keller’s quote, but it also benefited my parents. I saved them from having to spend money on my education when I have two other brothers that need to be taken care of. Hard work and honesty will always be rewarded.

My belief in karma is something I live by. I do not cause harm, and I promote good will. I believe if the world embraced the idea of karma, it would be a much different place. Karma passively promotes good behavior and teaches us to respect one another. In a sense, it is the universe’s way of acting out the Golden Rule: “Treat others as you want to be treated.”