Everything Happens for a Reason

Sandy - guilford, Connecticut
Themes: purpose

I believe that everything happens for a reason. Often we are taught a lesson from a negative experience and sometimes a good thing can come from it.

Last year, during my senior year of high school I was assigned a paper. The task was to write about the meaning of your name. You could pick your first, middle, or last name and write about it. I decided to do some research.

I asked my mom if any part of my name had significance. This is when I learned why my middle name is Michelle. She explained that the first time she tried to conceive, she had a miscarriage. Her name was going to be Michelle Ashley Palumbo. She would have been the oldest to only one brother and one other sister. My parents had only planned for three children, therefore if Michelle had been born, I wouldn’t be alive. When my mom told me this, I had mixed emotions. I didn’t know weather to cry or to be happy. Learning about this made me appreciate my life more. Although I had heard the saying, “everything happens for a reason”, I never thought it applied to me until that moment.

Sometimes, we are blinded by the negative of a situation and do not look for what is positive. In my life I look for a lesson in every experience. I believe in being patient and waiting for the good to come. Everything happens for a reason. No matter how bad it seems at the moment, something of importance will come.