Influence

Braden - 60438, Illinois

Influence

I believe that the influence people have over each other is something that most individuals underestimate. Many people believe they are stronger than they actually are and can withstand temptation even if they constantly surround themselves with those who will pull them down. However, this is just not generally the case; most of the time people finally give in to what the majority is doing. I believe that the influence that someone can have over another, whether because he or she is around that person or through reputation, is a responsibility that many people do not take seriously. That is why one of the things that I value most in my life is influence and its importance. I try to surround myself with good people who will help me become a better person. I also try to be a good example to those around me, so I do not let people down. I want to be held to high expectations and I want people to be disappointed if I mess up, because that means that I am, for the most part, a good example or influence on those around me. It is my obligation to be a good influence on others, and this is one of the characteristics to my personality in which I believe.

People are influenced by many different things in life, be it experiences, circumstances, or other people. There is no way around it. Whether they are a good influence or a bad one depends on the type of things people do or those they choose to befriend. If someone constantly surrounds him or herself with negative people then he or she will likely pick up the same mentality. An Italian proverb states, “The person who lives with cripples will soon learn to limp” (en.proverbial.net). Therefore, no matter how strong the conviction is in a person, it will begin to weaken if the person constantly has to fight against others and never being reinforced. Eventually the person will give in or give up. This type of situation has happened to my brother. My mother and father always warned him against hanging out with the friends he had. They told him that sooner or later he would start doing the same things that his friends were. However, he denied that they would have that kind of influence over him. He thought he was strong enough to stand up to them. Sure enough though, he gave into the temptations he had surrounded himself with, and started picking up some of their bad habits like drinking and chewing tobacco. He realized too late that he was unable to stay strong and he ended up doing things that he definitely regrets today. I think that because of his constant sneaking around and lying about what he was doing. He found out quickly that these decisions impact more than just him, he hurt the people that loved him most, like me and my family because you could never know if he was telling the truth or not, so we really did not trust him. However this example shows firsthand how the people around someone impact the decisions that person makes, and the way he or she chooses to live his or her life.

It is obvious that the people one surrounds him or herself with impact the decisions that the person makes. However, if the person is not the only one in the group who does not choose to make careless decisions, that person then has some sort of support system in order to help him or her in making decisions. Whenever someone is around another person who is like him or her, and thinks the same way, it is much easier to say no to the rest of the group who are making careless decisions. The more people that think the same way and live the same kind of life, the more influences those people can make on the rest of the group who may not make the best decisions about their own lives. Sean Reichle said, “Be around the people you want to be like, because you will be like the people you are around” (thinkexist.com). So, it is important to surround oneself with at least a few people who have the same ideas and convictions, so that that person is not as easily influenced by those who live the opposite lifestyle, and so that he or she can have an even greater impact on those around.