ryan - Colchester, Vermont

I believe in Santa Clause. Maybe not the actual man himself, but I believe in the idea of Santa. Santa is simple. He and his elves make toys all year long and then on the twenty fifth of December every year he brings his creations to the good boys and girls around the world. And if you ask a young child how he does this all in one night the usual reaction is to mention the flying sled and reindeers while looking at you like you are an idiot. Just the mentioning of Santa’s name can cause any child under the age of ten instant joy. I was one of the children too. I wrote Santa every year in my early life and made sure that there was milk and cookies laid out for him. This was an annual event until my older sister told me that Santa did not exist. I had forgotten the importance of Chris Cringle until my two year old cousin, Adia, first learned about this white bearded man. Her joy and excitement caused everything to sit still. This reaction got rid of the atrocities in my mind, even if it were just for a moment. There was no terrorism, anger, or corruption. There was just my baby cousin and her beautifully naive imagination.

And with this I realized Santa is one of the most important persons on the face of this earth, even if he does not exist. He is responsible for this feeling. Santa has never stolen a car or cheated on his taxes. Santa is not political. Santa is not even that religious. Santa is Santa. He comes every year and gives while asking for nothing in exchange, except the good behavior of the young children around the world. Santa is a constant in a world that never sits still. He comes every year and this makes him reliable in a world that is always changing.

Christmas has always been an exciting time of year for me. The holiday seems to always bring the good in people and I believe that Santa plays a major role in this. Although the majority of those who celebrate Christmas do not believe in him, I think the idea of Santa reinforces the giving nature of the holiday. Once one can realize that through his myths Santa does exist and that he is a flash of light in a dark world, they usually welcome the overweight elderly man who breaks into their house at night through their chimneys.