The Fruit of Passion

Michelle - Wichita, Kansas

I believe in passion. I am not speaking necessarily of intense, sweeping emotions such as bursts of anger or love, or even brief flutters of the heart. I believe that passion is often subtle; resting in the blood under our skin as it gently pushes us forward through life. It has a key role in the decisions we make, the paths we follow, and the things we accomplish. Probably one of the best personal examples of this is when I was younger, battling through the flaky interests of my pre-pubescent mind. As I’m sure many other kids that age have done, I spent a great deal of time exploring various recreational activities in an attempt to possibly find my niche. I had my moment with gymnastics, fleeting encounters with tap, jazz, and ballet, and a long productive year of tae-kwon-do lessons. But none of them stuck, none of them held me and said “Michelle, this is your niche!”

So I quit.

Eventually, I had the urge to learn piano. I became discouraged when I was met with my mother’s reluctance to pour more money into my trial-and-error experiences, but I continued to push the topic of music. When I hit 7th grade and entered a public middle school for the first time I was immediately exposed to the world of concert orchestra. Right then and there, I was hooked. I knew I wanted to be among those lightning fingers and mesmerizing bow movements, and I knew that I wanted to be up on that stage, partially responsible for the beautiful music they produced. When my mother asked what I would like to play, I chose the cello—the closest to mimicking the human voice. My previous failures left me with doubts in my head about music’s potential, but they have long since been dispersed. For four years now, the cello has been a part of my life. And every time I pick up my instrument and play a note, any note… I feel passion arise within myself when I feel the vibrations in my chest and body, the feeling even stronger now than when I first made my decision to play. It may not necessarily be my niche, but I realized that I finally felt passion for what I do and that’s why I followed through. And with that, I realized that passion, on any level, is crucial to the successes in our lives. Every great feat ever accomplished in this world was not done without passion. Not only does it give purpose to our actions, but also opens doorways to other driving forces, such as love and compassion for others. It is our justification in this world for every achievement, every important decision, and every act and kindness. In a world where apathy is my enemy, I believe in passion.