Bridget - Wichita, Kansas

I believe in acceptance. Every human possesses different characteristics, and therefore, should appear unique. People know America as the “melting pot,” not a land of homogenous zombies.

My faith in acceptance arose earlier this year when I met a new person. I knew nothing about him myself; yet, everyone else seemed more than willing to share their opinions about him, and these opinions were not of the positive nature. Based on what I heard, I needed to make a decision of how I would treat this new boy. I could either listen to my other friends, or ignore their rumors and get to know this new person for myself. I decided on the latter, and I am eternally grateful for this. I realized that I could not justifiably judge another human based on rumors that other people created, no matter how bad the rumors appear. In my case, the moment I decided to ignore the rumors, I gained a best friend. This seemed like a small price to pay, until my other friends found out. They grew jealous of my new friendship even though they created the bad rumors and pushed this boy away. They talked bad about him but then grew angrier as he grew more important to me. This did not make sense to me. I found out later that they talked bad about him because they did not want anything to come between their friendships with me. At this moment, I understood that I made the right decision.

I believe that acceptance, especially in today’s society, deserves some attention. I made an amazing friendship by accepting another person that others thought less of. If I provide people with a chance to make their own impressions on me, and then still do not like them, then I can live with that. Knowing that this new friendship would not exist if I did not give him a chance, convinces me to ignore rumors and form my own opinions about people. Going outside of my normal comfort zone allowed me to further understand myself as a person. If more people could learn to do this, then the world might have fewer discriminatory problems and function better as a whole. Acceptance opens the door to new and great opportunities.

This I believe.