An Infallible Cure

Mary - Salt Lake City, Utah
Themes: love

I believe love is the infallible cure. A completely unbiased, equitable, patient love.

Three years ago, I lost my best friend, a coach, a teacher, and a mentor. I lost my dad. It wasn’t just losing though, it was intentional. He chose to leave this world. I had the greatest sense of love for my father, so it would make sense that this action would cause me the greatest pain. The pain overwhelmed me. It pained me to get up in the morning, knowing I would not see him. It pained me to be at school, every little thing reminded me of him. It pained me to be with my family, knowing he would never be a tangible part of it again. But, as time went on, that pain lessened, until finally, one day, it was gone. I believe in the pain of everyday hardships, because if there were no pain, there would be no happiness. And if there were no happiness, what would be the point of living? So, although the pain was gone, nothing had filled the spot it had left. It was just…empty, which could be compared to a seemingly never-ending hole.

A year and half later, my brother Will, was born. My sister and I arrived at the hospital at just past eight in the morning. We walked into the room my mom was in. There, lying in her arms was a pint-sized baby, with hands no bigger than a silver dollar, and a head the size of a fist. I immediately walked forward with outstretched arms and he was lightly set into them. I looked down at him as he looked up at me. Both faces full of wonder, awe, and curiosity. I was soon grasped by an overpowering sense of love. I then realized the love which Will radiated; that can only be described as an unbiased, equitable, and patient love. At that moment, the hole that was left by my dad gradually began to fill in.

One year after Will was born; another impacting person came into my life. A friend, who’s love was so astounding that it hit me as hard as the first time I held Will. The friend was always there to give, never asking for anything in return. The love that emitted from him was exactly like that unbiased, equitable, and patient love that I had felt from Will.

After Will has been in my life for almost two years now, that love that I first felt has not dwindled one bit. But, instead, it has grown. As has my love for my friend. Both have grown and continued to fill in the once seemingly endless hole, which has now diminished into nothing more than a small divot. These two people have helped me realize the truth in the quote by W.H. Murray, “Love cures people—both the ones who give it and the ones who receive it.”