Be Prepared

Megan - Provo, Utah
Themes: disability

To me, being prepared is not just some Boy Scout motto. It’s not just something we hear about and think, “Oh yeah, I should do that.” I believe in being prepared for the future, now.

About ten years ago, my father became sick. He has chronic fatigue. A couple years later my older sister realized she had the same thing. My dad eventually had to stop working; he could not physically do it. My older sister attended a year of college. Then she had to be a part time student. And then not a student at all. They have both made getting better their top priorities. I am sure they never planned on their lives turning in this direction.

Our family never knew that this would happen. We never dreamed that one day the head of our house would be unemployable and on disability. I for one always assumed my older sister would graduate from college in a few years and get married. Now I have passed her in schooling. She is five years older than me. I sure hope I do not get married first.

I am not sick. I live a fairly normal life, going to school and working and such. But I realize that I have the genetic potential to become sick. Or later, when I have my own family, my husband of children could get sick. This could all happen to me. Or perhaps something completely different could happen to me. This is why at this time in my life I am working as hard as I can to get an education and become employable so that I could go to work and support my future family if needed. I sincerely hope this is never the case, but then, one can never know. Thus, we must prepare now for whatever the future may bring.