The future

Richard - Wichita, Kansas

Every once in a while, I stop what I am doing and just think. I think about where I am going, what my goals are, and where I will end up. Living in a fast-paced area like the United States sometimes puts me in a sort of trance, apathetic and dull. There is always that morning when I get up and think, “Why should I get up? What’s the point?” and after a long, drawn out moment to get my brain wormed up, I remember what I believe in: the future.

During my childhood, I watched my older brothers and sister grow up, and I began to fear the future. The reason is that I know nothing about the future. I may plan to go to a certain college, get a certain degree, graduate, and live happily for many, many years, but how am I suppose to know that that will actually happen? I witnessed my oldest brother and sister graduate from high school and college. My sister started her first year of college with no idea where she was going. She wanted to be an artist; she wanted to learn to speak one or two more languages, and a couple of other career choices. Eventually, my sister decided to become an RN, a registered nurse. After a couple tough years of tough classes and long hours, she graduated and passed her board exams in one summer, and is now well on her way in life. My sister did not plan to become a nurse originally, but things worked out, and her future looks bright.

I believe that my future also looks bright because I do not fear it. I embrace it. My future will play out, with my family and friends right behind me, supporting me. I will shoulder the responsibility that the future offers, the responsibility of reviving diminishing cultures, forgotten morals, and fading traditions. I believe in the future that brings my family and friends good fortune, and that takes me to where I am suppose to be; I believe.