Jason - Grangeville, Idaho

“This I Believe.” It’s more of a self-enlightenment than a declaration. It is a way for us to express our individuality, to reinforce our personal ethics, and establish our standpoints on life. Yes, to believe something in and of itself is important but to me, it is equally, if not more important to truly understand the gift you are using by expressing what “you” believe.

To believe is to have confidence in the truth, the existence, or the reliability of something. It is something that every one of us does. Without beliefs you have no direction, no voice, and no opinion. What would it be like to have these beliefs and not be able to share them with the world? What would it be like to hold them inside you despite the strongest urges to shout out and possibly change a mind forever? If these questions are unanswerable to you think again to times past. Think of the Holocaust stricken Jews of the late nineteen-thirties and forties. Think of the racially divided Blacks of the early Americas. Even worse, think of the spiritually minded Israelites and their new idea of Christianity.

Now think; these were the testing times, where a belief was more than a declaration; it was a way of life. It was something that you could very easily loose your life for. In a matter of hours you could be tried and punished for doing what we so often take for granted, saying what “you believe.” But it was these beliefs that kept many of the victims going; a belief in a life yet to live, a better life for many, “a Dream.” These people were not gifted with the privilege to speak out and yet through courage, some did. Many may know their names but it is their actions that stand out more than anything. This is not a far-fetched dream to have, to be known for your actions, and by your actions, your beliefs. Unlike these unforgettable times in history, we have no fears, we are free to speak our minds and make a path. So the challenge is to understand your beliefs and shout them out to the world, because there is no bigger crime to humanity than to hold them inside you to lay idle, let them out to grow with us, in our minds as well. This is what I believe, know and understand what you believe and don’t be afraid to make it known. It takes only seconds to change a life, and it takes a life to change the world. Do you have the time?