I Believe in Makeup

Brianna - Gulfport, Mississippi

Growing up, I always watched my mother put on her makeup: concealer to hide her imperfections, powder to cake on a mask, bright pink rouge and ruby red lipstick to draw attention, and mascara to make her eyes “pop”. She always told me she didn’t like makeup on little girls, but I had a way of coaxing her into sharing her rouge with me. I felt more like her: more elegant, more lady-like, and more sophisticated. It didn’t matter the wacky colors and techniques she used on her face; I thought she was beautiful, and I believed that when the time came that I could wear makeup, I would be a beautiful lady, too.

When I was 16, my mother moved to Atlanta. She had been with me my entire life, and now I was left with no one to look up to and no one to encourage me. I didn’t have my mom to help me feel like I was becoming the beautiful lady I had always dreamt of becoming, so I didn’t. I didn’t go to church, I experimented with drugs, I skipped school, and I had the mouth of a sailor. I wasn’t heading down a pretty path, but I was too upset with my living conditions and too apathetic to change for the better. When I was 17, makeup presented itself in my life again in an unexpected way. I met a boy. He was wonderful and thankfully, he lured me into the arms of his family, where I met one of my biggest inspirations, his mother.

She was a successful Mary Kay business woman, and in her I noticed all the things I was missing. She was a beautiful (make up-wearing) Christian lady with a positive outlook on life. Goal-oriented, she inspired everyone she came into contact with, was a woman of her word, and a loving mother and wife. This is who I wanted to become. She never pushed me to join Mary Kay, but I put up little resistance to her invitation. Needless to say, I am a beauty consultant today, and I couldn’t be happier. I am an active Christian, a loving friend and family member, and a full-time student, and I love my job. So, makeup really doesn’t make the woman, like my child-hood self assumed. But, makeup sure can get her where she wants to go. This I believe.