Why i believe everyone has two hearts

Daniel - Salem, Oregon

After a long run, I feel my heart pulsating strongly, beating at what feels like a mile a minute. When I walk by a girl I like in the hallway, my heart feels like it skips a beat. When I’m horsing around with my friends and get hit really hard in the chest, my heart hurts, and it’s hard to breathe.

This is your human heart, the heart that blood flows through, the heart that keeps you alive. I believe that every person has two hearts. When you hear the phrase “Listen your heart” what do you first think? If I try to listen my heart all I hear is it beating, it’s not saying words (even though sometimes it would be easier if it did). The second heart that I am talking about does not live in your body; I think that it belongs to God. This heart is the one that talks to you. I have herd people say that there is no feeling like falling in love, and that when they see the person they love their heart just beats with joy. That heart is what I call your spiritual heart, the heart that every person has (though some may listen to it more than others). This is the part of you that tells you to give that homeless person some spare change you have in your pocket, or to ask out that special someone.

Ever herd the phrase “follow your heart”? My heart is in my chest, it goes where my legs go, it’s not going anywhere without me, therefore I cannot follow it. Follow your spiritual heart, and listen to it. Whenever I am over-stressed and cannot decide what to do about a certain problem, I close my eyes and just listen, I hear a voice sometimes, sometimes I don’t. I believe that it’s my heart speaking to me, telling me what I need to know in order to get me to make the right decision.

Two years ago I was at the end of my sophomore year at McKay High school. I hated it there, I did not have any close friends, I was not doing very well in any of my classes and I was miserable, so I came home one day and I told my parents I didn’t want to go back my junior year. They immediately replied with recommending Salem Academy. I was hesitant at first, mainly because I thought it was a Goody two shoes school, but as much as the idea of coming to Salem Academy scared me, I hated McKay more. So one day I just sat down by myself, closed my eyes, and listened. I herd a voice telling me to try it out, that I might grow to like it. And now I am spending my Senior year at a school I love and will not leave until Graduation day.

That experience changed my life for the better, and I would not have had it any other way.

I believe that every person has two hearts, they both nurture body in different ways. Do what I did when I came here, listen to your spiritual heart, it is God talking through it.