The Power of Laughter

Cora - Wichita, Kansas

I believe in the power of laughter. I also believe that laughter causes and is caused by happiness and that happiness is the most influential gift one person can give to another. People are either positively or negatively influenced by strong emotion and if someone leaves a strong enough impression, they will be remembered for a very long time. One of my goals in life is to be remembered as “Cora, that one girl who always made everyone laugh all the time.” It may have been because of an embarrassing mistake I made, it could have been that I said something in a funny accent or made a strange face, or it could simply be that I made a humorous comment, but if I caused someone to laugh or smile because of it then I know that I made that person’s life just a little bit better for those few seconds they laughed. For me, one of the greatest feelings of accomplishment comes when I know that I’ve made someone laugh, that my comment gave them happiness.

A few years back I was having a serious conversation with a close friend about school and her family and her boyfriend and her job – life in general. She was going through a tough time and so she had gotten emotional and was starting to cry. I can’t even remember exactly what I said to her, but whatever it was it made her stop crying and start laughing instead. She wiped off her face and smiled. Even though I can’t remember what I said to her, I remember her face smiling and laughing at me through her tears, shocked that she was laughing, but glad about it too. That particular conversation didn’t have a substantial influence on me, I can’t remember anything that was actually said, but I can clearly remember feeling so happy relieved when she started laughing through her tears, the silent thanks she gave me through the happiness in her face and her eyes.

If I have the ability to give someone else happiness, why would I not take up that opportunity? If my smile makes other people smile, why would I not try to always be as positive as possible? No matter who you are, what you believe, or how you live your life, the thing that everyone wants most is happiness, whatever form it comes in for each individual person. It doesn’t matter what the different ways are that people want to achieve happiness, happiness and laughter always go together.

Laughter is one of the best feelings in the world, it’s so light and carefree – for a moment you feel like nothing could possibly go wrong. If I’m able to share that feeling with someone else than I’ve made the world just a little bit better. I like to think of it as saving the world, one laugh at a time.

I believe in the power of a laugh, a smile, a joke. I believe in lightening the mood. I believe in LOLs (“laugh out loud”s) and smiley faces made out of colons and parentheses. Laughter and happiness are the greatest gifts any person can give to another because they will be remembered long after they are given. This I believe.