A Bowl of Cereal

Rachel - Concord, New Hampshire

A Bowl of Cereal

I believe in cereal. I would say that cereal is definitely a staple food in my diet. Not only is cereal easy to prepare, it is nutritious and delicious. I enjoy a good bowl after exercising or while I am watching TV on a Sunday afternoon. And, of course, I enjoy eating cereal for breakfast on a Saturday morning.

As a little girl I loved Saturday mornings. These were the mornings that my dad would make my three siblings and I breakfast. My dad can’t cook, that’s a well known fact in my household, but in my opinion my father can make the best bowl of cereal in the world. He would sit us on the kitchen bench and take our “orders.” He would then prepare our bowls as we waited patiently, swinging our legs back and forth over the tile floor. Often times I would order, “The Special.” This was whatever my dad felt like making for himself that morning.

I grew up talking over a bowl of cereal with my father during many Saturday mornings. I have had numerous conversations with my father throughout these Saturday mornings. We have talked about funny experiences, confusing issues and heavy topics. Over these exchanges my relationship with my father has strengthened. We have been able to connect with one another, and enjoy a great bowl of cereal at the same time.

My dad has a philosophy about making cereal. He believes in putting the lighter cereal on the bottom, for example Rice Crispies or Cheerios. Next he puts the medium weight cereal in the middle; cereals that fall under this category are Life, Apple Jacks and Raisin Bran. Finally the heaviest cereal goes on the top. This is usually my mother’s homemade granola. When you put milk into the bowl all of the different types of cereals mix together perfectly. It is a flawless system. He doesn’t believe in putting only one type of cereal in a bowl and neither do I. What’s the fun in that? I believe that when you try different types of cereal together you can always find something new and often times better than one type alone. Similarly, I attempt to live my life by combining in different situations and experiences. Sometimes the experiences are good and sometimes they are bad, but in living this way I never know what to expect. I get to appreciate new things and push myself to think outside of the box.

I believe that like cereal, life is best when different experiences, both good and bad are mixed together. I believe that it is important to try adding different cereals together, to expand your horizons because you might just find that you have made the perfect bowl. I believe in a bowl of cereal with my dad on a Saturday morning.