Cherish Every Moment

Steven - Griffith, Indiana

I believe that you must cherish every second you have with someone. I can’t stress how important this is. Things happen so randomly and you never know what could happen next in life. Someone you really love and care for can be gone in the blink of an eye whether it is suspected or not. Make every moment last and say the things you want to say because you may not get another chance.

When I was a little kid, I always hung out with my cousin. We used to live together and even when I moved to a different town, it was like I still lived with her because I would spend every weekend at her house. I am not exaggerating when I say that. We liked to do the same things, like watch movies, watch TV, and play outside. Well when I was about ten years old, she started to get sick and she spent a lot of time in and out of the hospital, but that didn’t stop me from going to see her every weekend. Sometime after I turned thirteen, my cousin had a surgery that was supposed to make her better, but it only made things worse. About a month after her surgery, the spot where the doctor made his incision opened and it gave my cousin multiple health issues. For one, she had to use a plastic bag to go to the bathroom and she had to be fed through a tube. She went on like this for about 3 months. However, despite all of this, I still spent every weekend with her. Well every weekend except for the one that mattered. After a while her body couldn’t handle it anymore and she suffered a heart attack on Sunday, May 13, 2003. My cousin died on Tuesday, May 15, 2003.

It hurt so much when it happened and every time I think about this story, I just think about the weekend that I didn’t go see her. It was the weekend before she died and the reason I didn’t go was because I wanted to watch something on TV and I knew I would miss it if I went to her house because of the drive. I kick myself every single time I think about it because it was my last chance to see her.

That was the last time I got to see my best friend. I didn’t even get to tell her how much I cared about her. I kick myself every time I think about it. The moment she died was the moment I learned that I need to cherish every second I have with someone, because things happen so randomly and you have to say the things you want because you might not get another chance.