Look At What We Have

Dillon - Wichita, Kansas

I believe that we should be happy for what we have now, and we should only strive to become better. This belief came pretty recently, as a sort of epiphany out of nowhere. I hear stuff from my parents all the time, talking about how lucky I am to be able to do the things I do and for the things I have. Well, they’re absolutely right. I have a home, plenty of food, I’m in good health, and I have people who love and support me. I’ll watch the news or some movie based off of some tragedy that happened and I can’t help but think, “Wow, I have it good.” I see some people who complain about not having an incredibly nice car and I won’t mind their complaining until I see something tragedy happening. While we live well and happy, but still wanting more, others out in the world lay in the streets wondering if they will be able to live for another day. I guess through the repetition of constantly learning about some massacre or tragedy happening in my English and History classes, I realized how lucky I really am. I realized I should be happy for who I am and what I’ve already got. I realized I lead a happy life with my friends and family. We as people should strive to become better. We should become better and prevent genocides and other tragedies from happening. I believe we should learn from our mistakes and become better as a whole. I sort of got this from listening to some of the music we listen to. Some of the music today tends to include messages, including that of peace or some other promotion. I thought to myself as I listened to the song “Where is the Love?” by Black Eyed Peas and thought we should strive to become better people. We shouldn’t be complaining about the things we don’t have and appreciate the things we do have. I believe in order to strive to become a better person we need to take a second to look at the kind of person we are and reflect off of our actions. I believe in learning from our mistakes can only benefit us and help us look on to a brighter future.