Pride

Timothy - Biloxi, Mississippi

Pride can be a main drive in a person’s personality. It can bring a person to drive themselves through school in order to graduate or to become valedictorian of their class. With pride an individual can become strong and strive for their goals by themselves. They do not need outside influences in order to succeed and can neglect outside influences because they believe in themselves.

Pride in my life has driven me to graduate high school and pursue my goals of becoming a doctor. After Hurricane Katrina my life was devastated because I felt lost and had no where to go. My family and I became refugees with no home to go to and no memories to remember because everything was lost. After being accepted with open arms by the state of California, which gave us housing and food, the only thing I had left in me was my pride to strive to never let this happen to me again. My decision to stay active in school was tested after my first semester because I saw my grades and knew I would get no where in life if I kept the pace I was going at. I changed my life because of my pride was struck hard by the disappointment I felt by myself and my family.

I graduate six months early from my class and leave my house hold in California at the age of seventeen because my life and my mind needs to grow away from the life style that Irvine, California provided me. My pride and self-esteem was constantly being challenged their because I was seen as an outcast, but I always held my head up high and lived life day by day until the day I graduated and left. The friends that I would never let down and never leave I was going back to because I was forced to leave them after the storm. I made a promise that I kept on my journey back to Biloxi, Mississippi and kept my pride high and glorified because I was rejoined with friends that I could not make no where else in the world.

My pride still runs strong today; I go to school, work and provide for myself. I spend as much time as I can with my friends, and I see myself as an individual. With my pride I will stay in school disciplining myself to the point when I know I can have fun and to the point where I have to study for school. My goal is to become a doctor and my pride will always be behind me to support me.