Perfect Stories

Cory - Salt Lake City, Utah

I believe there is a perfect story for everyone.

When you hear the word “story”, chances are your thoughts go right to books, but a story can be told through everything from someone’s thoughts, and life, to art and music to movies. It is anything you can recount even if it’s as boring as what you did in math yesterday.

I believe a story is perfect when it makes you think, resonates with you, and from which you can always get something however many times you come back to it. It’s something timeless and personal that can draw out your strongest feelings. You could argue that there is no such thing as perfection. Nevertheless, I believe that perfection is relative and that it has no one true definition. What seems flawless to one may be lacking for another. Thus a man’s definition of perfection could be said imperfect, which is why my interpretation of perfection is something that suits someone completely.

I admit I haven’t found my perfect story nor do I know if I ever will. However it doesn’t mean I’m going to stop looking. I have been surrounded by stories my whole life. When I was little, my dad would tell about the ancient Greeks and their gods. When I see someone interesting in the street, I wonder what there life is like. I always wonder how a certain painting came to be and about the plot behind the canvas and its making. And of course first and foremost of all, I love reading books. Writing is my favorite method of storytelling, and I know if I am to ever find my perfect story, it will be in a book.

The hope that I will one day find the perfect tale keeps me reading. Every time I read a great book, it strengthens my belief that I might one day find what I am looking for. My kind of perfection. It can seem almost impossible sometimes, and it may be, but I’m intent on finding it even if I have to write it myself.

I believe in the perfect story, and to quote Muriel Rukeyser, “The universe is made of stories, not atoms after all.”