Not Just a Coincidence

Sarah - Biloxi, Mississippi
Themes: purpose, setbacks

Everyone has their own opinions about why things happen. Some say that one was just in the right place and the right time, others say it was just luck. Then some think that everything happens for a reason. I fall into the last category. I am not one that believes in coincidence. I think that there is always a hidden reason behind why things happen. When I was in eleventh grade I experienced a terrifying scare.

It started off just like any normal school morning, but I did not know things would take a turn for the worst. I arrived at school and realized by boyfriend Daniel, now my future husband, was not at school yet. I just thought he was running late so I went to class. My first class ended and I went into the courtyard to meet up with him, but he was not anywhere to be found. That is when I received the phone call. On Daniel’s way to school he had been involved in a serious wreck. My heart immediately dropped. All I could think was the worst. His mom began to tell me that he was rushing to get to school when it happened. He made the mistake no driver should make. He was leaning over the passenger seat when he realized he was drifting off the road. He jerked the wheel to get back on the road, but over corrected and flipped his truck four times. Daniel was the type of person that did not always wear his seatbelt. That morning he had left his house in a rush and forgot to put his seatbelt on. About a mile or two before the spot where he flipped his truck, he got this overwhelming urge to put his seatbelt on so he did. Every person that witnessed this wreck though that he would not have lived if it were not for the fact that he had his seatbelt on. He flipped four times and survived! It is a miracle that he got that feeling to put his seatbelt on. I do not know what I would have done if he would not have made it out alive. Ever since his wreck he has never taken a drive without his seatbelt on. He also makes everyone else in the car buckle up. No one can predict when it may save his or her life.

This was not luck. Someone or something saved his life that day. Apparently it just was not his time, and I am very thankful for that. This wreck may have been designed to teach him a lesson or teach others a lesson. It was not a coincidence that he got this urge either. It all happened for a reason. I believe everything happens for a reason.