It could be worse

Allie - Wichita, Kansas
Themes: carpe diem

Everything is not as bad as it seems. We’ve all heard the phrase, ‘It could be worse,’ and it’s so true. Whenever you think something is awful, I challenge you to take a look at it from a different perspective, because there’s probably some good to come of the event.

The one thing most people don’t know about me is that I was diagnosed with Crohn’s Disease in the fall of 2007. My mom started to notice that I was complaining about my stomach hurting all the time. I went to a pediatrician, a gynecologist, a gastroenterologist, and a colon specialist. A year and a half later I was officially diagnosed with Crohn’s Disease after multiple blood tests, an MRI, sonograms, barium tests, a colonoscopy, and a capsule endoscopy.

Since then I have been on a variety of medicines and vitamins, been to dieticians, gastroenterologists, and a kinesiologist. As far as I was concerned this was the worst thing that could happen to me.

Soon I started to realize that with this thing that was ‘ruining’ my life came something even better, support. My friends and family had always been there for me, but now it seemed we were all just a little bit closer. The doctor told me that the most important things were to sleep and not stress…as a teenager…yeah right. I didn’t believe that was possible, then with the help of my family, I started to believe.

The worst part with this whole thing has been taking steroids, they cause weight gain, depression, tiredness, and I just never felt like myself. Yet everyone I love put up with me, and loved me, when I didn’t want to, myself.

I feel so much better now, and I owe that all to my Dad most who believed in me and my health. To my mom, my friend, who was always there for me to talk or cry to. And to my brother, who in the middle of a yelling clash stopped and said, “Allie you know what – I love you.” I never thought I could get along with the little kid that drove me nuts, and now we’re the best of friends, it amazes me how good it feels to cry on my little (well, younger, but not littler) brother, and simply know that everything will be okay.

It still scares me that with each day comes the possibility for me to be sick, remission is great, but it’s tough with a disease whose origin is unknown, and cure not found. This disease has taught me to appreciate the art of medicine, and I hope to one day contribute to that field of study. I’m alive, I’m happy, today I’m not sick, and I have my friends and family, what more could I ask for? Crohn’s Disease has taught me to ‘live life to the fullest,’ and take another look, because things probably aren’t as bad as they seem, and ‘it could always be worse’. This I believe.