Don’t Let Them Get You Down

Amy - Wichita, Kansas

I believe in nervous habits. When I was 10, I moved from a shared bedroom with my brother to a bigger room of my own in the basement. It was everything I hoped for but it had the frightening feature of a private entrance. Some nights I would have nightmares about people breaking in while other nights I couldn’t sleep without my back facing the wall because I was so afraid of someone coming to get me from behind. From this fright, I developed a nervous habit of always checking for burglars or people in the area outside the door that lead to my room every night.

Even though I’m no longer afraid of what goes bump in the night, that habit has stuck with me today. I do not check outside my doorway for strangers, but rather I replace the strangers with mistakes I’ve made throughout the day. I look over and review what went wrong and then symbolically close the door on them. Subsequently, I go to sleep and start each day with an open mind as if it were a clean slate. I’ve found that waking up with a positive attitude carries throughout the entire day. I enjoy the good parts and deal with the bad.

I believe every person has their own “nervous habit” when they deal with the challenges and struggles of life. With the practice of my nervous habit and reviewing my daily mistakes, I’ve found that overcoming obstacles makes you stronger with each day. We’re all forced into a life of challenges but it’s those who decide to rise against what gets them down who become leaders. Each person that has made a difference throughout history has had at least one person against them, whether it be the government or the family down the block. If great leaders decided that pessimism and criticism would get them down, we wouldn’t have experienced the life changing speech of Martin Luther King, the women’s suffrage speeches by Susan B. Anthony, or known of John Lennon’s peace movement. Even though these three influential people had different messages, they all received major criticism throughout the years. What sets them apart from an “ordinary person” is that they worked through the tough times to deliver their messages and did not allow themselves to give up

As I think of the people that I look up to, such as John Lennon, I imagine that they too closed the door on mistakes they made in the past and learned for the future. There’s no set plan for life; we all have to figure out how to deal with the problems we face every day and my way is to shut the door on all those scary mistakes and wake up the next day ready to conquer the world.