I Beleive in never giving up

Tony - Indianapolis, Indiana

Upon going to college, I have thought about myself, and everyone’s own unique individuality. When I first came to college this past August, I was excited, yet nervous. Soon after, I began to realize something about college. College is not only important academically, but also socially and personally. Back in August I really didn’t know myself or what my beliefs were. I felt that I was lost and not sure where I was going.

All that I have done these past few months; swimming, pledge ship, and school in general, have made me realize a lot about myself. I have come to see what I truly believe. College has caused me to believe that everyone should strive for excellence, whether they become the best or not. Mankind would benefit if everyone tried to be all that they could be.

Recently I have practiced this belief, and I have begun to notice a sense of pride in myself. I was swimming at the IUPUI Natatorium last week. Surprisingly, I was not excited to be there. All I wanted to do was go home. My head hurt, my stomach was hungry, and I was tired of being wet. Of course my most important event, the 200 freestyle, was next. I wanted to drop 2 seconds which would put my time at 1:48.00. As I stepped calmly on the starting block, I envisioned my race. I looked at the guys next to me and noticed their new expensive race suits. The starter blew the whistle, starting the race. As I dove in the water, I focused all my energy into my swim. I started off very strong, but as the race drew on, my body began to weaken. Still, I kept pushing and gave my all. I refused to give up. As I touched the final wall, I looked at the clock. I looked for my name nervously, then saw a 1:47.50. It was my best time. Dropping two and a half seconds in swimming is a big accomplishment too. As I looked through the stands, I say parents who were just as happy. As I warmed down I thought about the race. It was a good feeling becoming a better swimmer, while trying to reach my total potential.

I won’t forget that race for a long time. This race motivated me quite a bit, and proved to me that I should never give up, and always try my best. This is a prime example to me about what excellence truly is: striving for your ultimate goal and becoming all that you can be. So what do I believe? I believe in never giving up. Always move towards excellence, and never look back.