The Power of Little Things

Nivanthika - Wichita, Kansas

The Power of Little Things

I believe in the power of little things.

I’ve been thinking about the origin of this lately and I have realized that this belief didn’t come from one earth-shattering incident but rather a collection of seemingly insignificant experiences that have affected the way I think about things.

Over time, I’ve noticed how it’s always the little things that have the power to make or break people’s days. I remember one day in particular, a day that wasn’t going too well, when I was walking to one of my classes at school, someone stopped in the middle of the hallway for what it looked like was a penny. At first I didn’t realize what he was doing, but when I passed the place he had stopped I saw that he turned it so that it was heads up and therefore, by popular belief, lucky. I picked up that penny and kept it. In the grand scheme of things, that penny shouldn’t have been a big deal. I don’t remember what he looked like, or what class I was walking to, or even why I was feeling bad that day. But the one thing I’ll never forget is that that day someone had wanted to make life just a little bit luckier for someone else. He succeeded. Now, even at the risk of getting trampled in the hallways of my enormous high school, I try to return the favor.

For me, the situation was never about the luck of the penny itself but rather the power that such a small gesture had. It seems like looking back at their lives, people always remember the big milestones, the extravagant gifts and events. I love these things just as much as the next person, but day to day it is honestly the people that go out of their way with small gestures that get me through. I believe in lucky pennies. I believe in smiles from strangers, in words of encouragement and in those rare people that wait outside in the cold to hold open a door for someone else. I believe not because I necessarily need the luck, the encouragement or can’t open a door by myself, but because of the thought that maybe someone else recognizes the incredible power we have and puts it to good use. Really, we all have our bad days and our problems so why should I make life harder for someone else when I can make it just a little bit better?

This, I truly believe.