self discipline in my life

andrew - wichita, Kansas

In my life so far, one thing has kept me in good standing, and with good grades, that is self discipline, I believe in self discipline. Self discipline is the ability for one to be able to restrain ones self or force ones self to do something that needs to be completed.

Discipline has changed my life from a kid in fourth grade, who loves school, yet would rather play outside than do his homework first then go play outside.

My story begins when I was in fourth grade, I had allowed my grades to slip by never getting my homework completed and turned in, after a while I was persuaded to kick my butt into gear and get caught up on my homework. I spent the rest of fourth grade attempting to catch up with the other students in my class. I had to spend a good number of my recess in the classroom getting help on past lessons. At home I would spend at least an hour getting past homework completed. Due to my fourth grade teachers I was able to get caught up. This whole episode taught me one major thing self discipline. This self discipline remained at its fourth grade level until sixth grade, where I attended a class called leadership (a middle school version of JROTC). My self discipline grew from here on out. When high school came along I got myself involved in the IB (International Baccalaureate) program, which has classes that are harder then honors classes. In the IB program one tends to have a large amount of homework, this can be just a little overwhelming at times. Several times throughout freshmen, sophomore, and even into my junior year I have gotten fed up with homework and would have quit if it was not for one thing, self discipline. If I had not developed the amount of self discipline that I have then I would have dropped out of the IB program and in effect would not be the person I am today.

I believe in self discipline! In my life self discipline has created the person that I am today, by giving me the ability to do things that I need to do.