The Power of Hot Wheels

Ruth - Wichita, Kansas

I have a close relationship to both of my parents. One of the things that I believe has aided these relationships is the little things that they share with me that they love. It’s the little things that define who people are that help people to understand each other and build relationships with other people.

My dad owns his own business, a body shop, which specializes in Volkswagens. One of the things that he does is go to car shows/swap meets where he sells parts and Volkswagen related toys. These swap meets are on the weekends, and he goes to about thirteen shows a year, so from about April to October, he’s out of town a lot of weekends.

As a child, I didn’t really get what these “swap meets” were that Dad went to, but I knew that he was out of town.

When I was little, my favorite color was, as most little girls’ are, pink. Now, Volkswagen Hot Wheel cars are very difficult to find in the first place – much less a pink one. However, one morning after my dad got home from one of his shows, I woke up and there – sitting on the breakfast table – was a pink Volkswagen bug Hot Wheel. I still have it.

And it went on like that. It wasn’t every time he was gone, it was more of a random pattern, but my dad would bring us Hot Wheels – or something else Volkswagen related – when he got home.

Of course, after a while, I started figuring out just how many different Hot Wheels there are. We’d be in places like the grocery store looking at Hot Wheels and I’d find one I liked.

One Hot Wheel that I remember in particular, besides the Pearl Driver (the pink car), was this bus that my dad gave me. It’s covered in different road signs, but with a different paint job, it could be a normal yellow school bus. We were just talking one time and I wondered if they made school bus Hot Wheels. He didn’t know if they did at the time, and I just figured that was the end of that. A couple months later, he came home and told me that it wasn’t a school bus, but it was the closest he could find. He had remembered that I wanted a school bus toy, and had put effort into finding one for me.

For my dad, Hot Wheels were a way of sharing something with me that he loved. For me, they were a sign of how much my dad loves me and a way to know just who he is and what makes him happy. By talking about Hot Wheels, I have yet another common ground with my dad that he loves to talk about and knows a lot about.

With any person, finding something that they love and sharing that with them is the most important thing you can do for them. This I believe.