I Believe in Music

Katie - Wichita, Kansas

I have played an instrument since second grade, when I started piano lessons. I also played the flute and now I play he bassoon. I have learned a lot through music: how to express myself, how to work with a group, I have learned discipline, but the best thing that music has showed me is that we are all human.

I am currently very involved with my bassoon; I am in the school band and orchestra, the Youth Symphony, and various other honor groups. One thing being so involved in music has taught me is discipline. Playing an instrument forces you to multi-task; you need to pay attention to the conductor and your section and you and everything you need to do to improve your technique and sound, think musically and make sure everything fits into the entire ensemble. Let’s just say that all of this can be overwhelming at times. Music makes you have the discipline to focus and listen to others.

In music the fact that you must listen to one another gives you a connection to the people you play with. This summer I was at a music camp called Apple Hill, and people came from all over the United States and the world, from places such as Cyprus and Japan. Almost no one knew each other, but we all became good friends very quickly. I believe that music caused this connection to be made. No matter what language you speak music connects people, even across language barriers, because of this I am excited about my music trip to Europe this summer. I will not only get to see Europe but I will be able to connect to people through my music, even people I would normally not be able to speak to.

Music is a great medium of communication, but one must also work very hard to be able to connect with people thorough music. Playing music requires great discipline and concentration; in the words on my band director, “it’s all up here guys,” as he points to his brain. However, all of the hard work you put into music does pay off. You will be better at different aspects of music as well as having developed life skills like hard work, focus, and discipline. For me, music serves as a great way to relieve stress and provides me with great enjoyment. Even with all of the hard work music can serve as a positive outlet. I love to play my bassoon and when I am mad or stressed I can play my bassoon, sometimes loud and obnoxiously, and I feel a lot better.

All in all music connects people, because really everyone goes thorough similar struggles with music, musicians can understand each other because they have similar experiences. Music also goes beyond that to connect everyone; people with different languages can understand each other through music. I believe in music as a connection between people.