Trying at peace

Suhayla - wichita, Kansas

“11:11, wish!”

“Well, what’d you wish for?”

“I can’t tell you or else it wont come true”

“I believe the only way for a wish to come true is to share it, or else there may not be a chance.”

“Well then, what’d you wish for?”

“I wished for world peace, the destruction of poverty, and end of famine. It’s how my wish goes every night.”

“So you believe in Utopia?!”

But it’s not Utopia I believe in, although every time I seem to share my wish, it is the reaction that I get, ‘how could she be silly enough to think that could actually happen?’ This is what I believe, to want peace, to want to end poverty and famine, and take actions towards achieving it. While that desire may never be met, striving to achieve it in complete assures something will be done; a little bit of poverty solved, a little peace made, and a few famished fed.

The thought of wanting world peace never occurred as “ridiculous” to me, what’s ridiculous to me is that so many people don’t believe it can happen so it’s not something they consider. I’ve seen poverty, I’ve seen hate, and I’ve seen famine.

It was already the eighth time I had been to Syria, but the first time I saw the extremity of the conditions I did. They call them falahas or noor. They live in a shed or a little field. A dry oasis in tents with plastic bags blowing all across the field. A donkey as the only kids’ toy, but really it’s not for them. The smell unbearable; it transcends into taste. These were living conditions I couldn’t even see fitting for my cat. They had one pair of clothes, the land was their bathroom, their friends…whatever family they had. And there I was in a car on one of the hottest days of summer, with air condition blowing, with my new outfit I had bought specifically for this trip, and many more new ones at the house, and with my purse full of money that had just been handed to me. And what right did I have to be sitting there with all this, when these families didn’t have a fraction of what I did.

I’ve been given education, I’ve been given enough wealth, I’ve been given compassion so I can turn around and give back. And if everyone with some gave to those with none, there’d be more love to share, less bad to conquer. What is mine is not mine it’s what I’ve been given. And when I gave that little girl the ice cream that cost me but 10 cents I saw what great, a little deed could do. So I know when I build schools for those without access to education, and when I give those with no water drink and food, and when I work to make peace with those who you never would of thought, I know the degree of greatness I will do.